I do a lot of fabric and pattern shopping at my local op shops. I’ve scored some absolute bargain fabrics over the years, as well some very funky patterns. I think the reason I have a pretty good strike rate is because I like weird stuff. I’d like to think that I see the potential, but I could just have really.bad.taste. Case in point, my latest scores:
I think each and every one of these patterns have many redeeming features. Who doesn’t love a good shirt-dress? Or those fabulous cape sleeves? Or a cheongsam with a twist? Even the one with mad ruffles has potential. Anyway, armed with many, many metres of $2 quilting cotton from spotty, I made myself one of these.
This is what I ended up with. Oh my god.
I talked myself off the ledge, remembering that we make toiles for a reason, and that not all toiles are wearable. I hung it on the laundry door with all my other failures, and forgot about it. Then yesterday, I scored some more $2/m fabric from Spotty, and decided that I wanted to make some more shirts. My eyes drifted over my pattern stash, and suddenly, there were fireworks, little blue birds were singing in my ear, and a rainbow appeared out the window! I could make a top out of this pattern! It would be funky! And interesting! And flattering! So I tried on my failure to figure out what how I needed to alter the pattern, and a very strange thing happened – it looked really nice! As in, I could wear it in public nice. It needed a hem, but what do I do? Keep it long? Go short?
In the ended I decided if I shortened it, I’d look a bit too much like I was playing tennis with Gatsby, so I kept it long. I needed to face the hem to give it the depth and weight it needed, so I went through my stash, and got a bit silly…
Finally, I settled on some yellow fabric I’d been given by my mum. I’m not sure what it actually is, because it has the texture of a linen, but it’s much firmer. Anyway, I cut it into 5cm strips, hemmed it, and look at me now!
I definitely need to make some alterations to the pattern to get it to work for me. I’ve already added an inch on either side, but it needs some bust darts. I also need to reshape the neck at the front, and while I love the back, I need to be able to hide a bra, so it needs to come up a little.
I’ll lengthen it so I can tuck it in to a skirt, but once I’ve done that, it should be awesome.
Here’s to finding winners in the reject pile!
Princess Di last week, Marilyn Monroe this week!
I haven’t really committed to #vintagepledge2016, but I’ll certainly take the credit for this one!