So, a couple of weeks ago we did a quick trip to Adelaide to celebrate my grandfather’s 85th birthday. Some cool things about my Pa:
- He holds the third oldest RAA membership in the state, currently 63 years (hope they give him a discount!)
- As a Uniting Church Minister, he officiated the weddings of his four children, and his oldest grand daughter (me!)
- Before retirement, he was a roving Padre, gallivanting around remote South Australia in his converted troop carrier.
Adelaide has some unexpected attributes:
- Low humidity means I only have to wash my hair every third day, and it dries in two minutes flat.
- Haigh’s Dark Aprichocs. The cottage we rented (which was fantastic) was just around the corner from the Visitor Centre. Coincidence? I think not…
- Even after an exhausting weekend of baby making, the pandas were very happy to see us. And where else can you stand within a lion’s spray zone? The comment of the day came after Alby heard one of the lionesses repeatedly roar – “Mum, is she trying to do a poo?”
Of course, I can’t go anywhere without scoping out a few shops:
- Chapel Sewing Solutions was overflowing with very gorgeous sparkly, blingy formal fabric and haby. I walked out with some knit, thread snips, rivets and a new, super size seam ripper.
- Our Beautiful Pieces was just full of incredible vintage jewellery, clothing and trims, as well as the prettiest wool selection I’ve seen in ages. I showed great restraint and only bought the cutest buttons ever.
- The Drapery. This place deserves a whole post of its own (coming next week). I was in heaven. If they’d offered me a wine, I never would have left. I did leave though, with a bundle of Nani Iro under my arm (squeeeee!).
Anyone else have some tips for Adelaide visitors?