F*ing flatpacks, need I say more?

Three sewing posts in a row – I need a dose of DIY!

Man, trying to wrangle the laundry into some sort of presentable space is doing my head in #firstworldproblems. I’ve already added one lot of extra shelving, but I seem to be accruing fabric at a rate of knots, which is miraculous given I’m on a fabric ban. I’ve also ended up with piles of works-in-progress, traced patterns and other bits and pieces that are threatening to drown me in a flood of haberdashery. What a way to go…

The laundry starting point
I should be embarrassed, but I’m not. Keeping it real, kids.

There’s already plenty of wall storage, but the cupboards were full to overflowing, and the desk itself was covered. There is ample wall space on that side, so I decided to duck down to Aldi when they were having their laundry sale, and pick up an overhead cupboard. I made the mistake of trying to put it together one night after the kids had gone to bed, and it was a shambles. I always manage to miss one tiny but crucial detail when putting together flatpacks, and this was no exception. Sigh. I did what my mother would do, and put my tools down for the night. In the morning, I managed to put it right in minutes.

Aldi-catalogWhen I looked at how the instructions said to attach it to the walls, I realised that it was never going to work. The screws and plugs were for brick walls, which was irritating. I got my thinking hat on, and came up with a work around, which was two pieces of pine, attached to the studs, at a height just below the top, and above the bottom, of the back bracing of the cupboard.

Two pine battens, attached to the studs with 8g, 50mm screws
Two pine battens, attached to the studs with 8g, 50mm screws

I then screwed through the cupboard bracing into the timber so it was firmly fixed to the wall.

The arrows point to the screws attaching the cupboard to the battens
The arrows point to the screws attaching the cupboard to the battens

So far, it hasn’t fallen off the wall, but will be an almighty bang if it does! It’s survived a couple of earthquakes though, so I’m pretty confident πŸ™‚ It’s much smaller than the existing cupboards, so I’ve attached it so that the top is inline with the original ones. I think it actually works better being smaller, because it still allows for plenty of sunlight to come through the window.

Knits, overlocker thread and RicRac on top, dress wovens, scrap packs and spare baking paper for tracing patterns on the bottom. Chock-full already, oops
Knits, overlocker thread and RicRac on top, dress wovens, scrap packs and spare baking paper for tracing patterns on the bottom. Chock-full already, oops.

While I was on a roll, I added three galvanised planters I found in Kmart for $4 each, and painted two of them for some interest. Two have plants, and the third has become a handy spot to store brushes and other laundry bits. It gave me the motivation to clear off the window sill, and shock horror, clean the window!

with-plantsI’ve also tidied up my workspace, and will share that soon πŸ™‚

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “F*ing flatpacks, need I say more?

  1. I’m impressed! I don’t think I’d ever brave putting up a wall mount cupboard for fear of it falling off the wall with my piles of fabric in it! Looks great though! Cute planters!

    1. Thanks Amy June. I have faith in long screws, hope they don’t disappoint me! I do have nightmares about the cupboard falling off, knocking the washing machine taps off the wall and flooding the house, but I’m sure that’s never going to happen :-/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s