I love fabric. I always buy it with the best of intentions, but so often something gets in between me and the finished product. As a result, I have one hell of a stash. This year I’ve decided that I need to start using it, not just collecting. Fortunately, I have two little people I can dress up 🙂
I stumbled across the Izzy Top recently, and figured it would be a great stash-busting pattern. I made it in the 18m size, but instead of a button tab I made a large loop. I also overlapped the back bodice panels slightly, just to hide the bodice/skirt seam once it was top-stitched.
Ironically, I didn’t use any of my own fabric. Mum gave me a heap of her quilting fabrics, and this bamboo/butterflies combo leapt out at me. I think quilting weight cotton is fine for the bodice (I used voile for the lining), but it’s a bit too heavy for the skirt. I have some beautiful cotton/silk blend, which I think will be gorgeous with a chambray bodice…
Of course, in the spirit of full disclosure, meet Polly-locker. She belonged to my grandmother, who was a professional seamstress, and is one of the earliest domestic overlockers. She was serviced recently, and the technician had her purring like a kitten.
Unfortunately, between there and home, something happened and now the lower looper thread keeps breaking. I can rethread her like a ninja, but it’s not cool. Back to the Janome shop tomorrow 😦